Windsor’s Crowning Glory

My day began with a trip to Bachelors Acre. Sadly there were no rose ceremonies or eligible bachelors in sight.  I was here to obtain an Advantage Card from the Windsor Library. Residents of Windsor and Maidenhead are eligible to hold the card that provides a range of discounts and privileges. The privilege I was most interested was the ability to enter Windsor Castle for free. Unfortunately I am yet to nab a royal husband, so the Advantage Card would have to do. 

I meandered through Windsor’s alleys and streets to the castle. 






I continued my stroll through the grounds until I reached the changing of the guard. 


The ceremony was approximately half an hour of marching band bangers. 


I snapped a few dance battle photos from the mosh pit. 




Once the rock concert concluded I ran a few errands across the street. 




My first stop was HSBC where I discovered H. G. Wells had worked back in the day. 


I ran a few other errands, ate a jam sandwich, then met up with Simone. She’s a friend from Australia who is holidaying on this side of the world. So it was back over the road to explore the castle. 


But not the grass. Whatever you do, stick to the paths. The lush lawns are not painstakingly manicured for you to place your unworthy feet on. 




If you go somewhere and don’t take a selfie, did it even happen? No. 






Gorgeous autumnal colours covered the castle grounds. 




Photography was prevented inside the castle, so you’ll have to put up with my descriptions. Or better yet, visit the castle yourself. 

First we marvelled at Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House. A grand “miniature” replica of a castle. “Dolls’ house” might make you think of something small for children, but this one was about the height of me with many rooms all around, including servants’ quarters. Lavishly furnished, the model castle was not designed as a child’s toy, and pails in comparison to the Fisher Price Dolls’ House I played with as a child. 

Next Simone and I ventured over to the State Rooms. They were a series of drawing rooms, bedrooms, sitting rooms, and dining rooms. They housed portraits, opulent furniture, weaponry, armour, and fine china. Don’t forget to pick up a free audio guide on the way into the castle, so you can find out more about the royal historical and cultural artefacts your
peasant eyes are viewing. 

The Windsor Castle staff were also preparing for Christmas. A few of whom were in the midst of decorating a large fir tree with fairy lights, and oversized, sparkling baubles in rich, festive hues. Unable to take a photo of the indoor festive cheer, I captured a photo of a wreath outside. 


Window shopping was next on the agenda. 








The Windsor Castle excursion continued with a visit to St George’s Chapel. 


The gothic building home to ornate ceilings and many graves, including those of King George VI, and King Henry VIII. A volunteer chapel steward was very knowledgeable and keen to chat with Simone about royal, British history. We were politely ushered out of the chapel, as it was nearing closing time. 




Once outside we grabbed a couple of photos with a guard.  




We were promptly given our marching orders as it was time close the castle gates. 


Simone and I traipsed across the street for dinner at King and Castle. 






My creamy mushroom risotto filled me with delicious warmth. Simone gave the breaded scampi and chips of her meal two thumbs up, but not the peas. They remained on the plate.  


After dinner we engaged in a little more royal window shopping, then parted ways. It was a wonderful catch up with a friend from half a world away. 

Windsor Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Audition Adventures

The Adult Stuff